@Joannie JoJo - - I have a Viennese dictionary of 'underworld'...

1. 17,903 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 148
    @Joannie JoJo - - I have a Viennese dictionary of 'underworld' expressions, some of which have slipped into common use. Similar to your London rhyming slang there are many words which I have not grown up with, but are reserved for the sole use of 'dodgy' people - no doubt all changing now, that there are so many, mostly male migrants in Europe (and many young and jobless), some of whom make a living from the under-belly of society, and probably just use their native language - i bet it's changing in London too.
    As for my dictionary: I just dug it out: some of the words are of gipsy origin, some are jiddish in origin, some have made their way to the New World due to migration, but all come from the 'milieu' of the cheap coffee house, or cheap pub environment, often of gaming origin (billiards and card games) in poor suburbs.
    Even English (underworld) slang gets a mention and is used: I bet you don't know what a 'Jack' is, or a 'Betty'?

....but I better concentrate on my latest linguistic challenge, namely being confronted with yet another variety of 'Irish'. My new friend introduced me yesterday to another Irish friend of his, who is a handyman, and who will help me out (for a rate of $30, which is very reasonable) - and he speaks yet again in a different dialect.
    But I better be getting on with shelling almonds for the chocolate cake I am about to make for Sunday's guests.
    Good to hear from you, JoJo - must listen again to your "pony and trap"!
    Tau

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.