kerry o"brien questions brand rudd , page-18

1. 5,732 Posts.
    Rudd keeps saying "all Australians" own the resources - but they don't. It's the states that own the resources, not the Fed Govt. Miners pay royalties to the States. This is just a Federal tax - and a grab for revenue from the States.

I'm not necessarily against some sort of additional tax on mining - but not for the reason that Rudd is saying. It's got nothing to do with resources being 'owned' by 'all Australians' - they are not. It will cool the resources economy which might not be a bad thing, but it might not be a good thing either. Certainly in its current form I'm against the super tax on mining.

It won't pay for superannuation - individual businesses do that. It might help offset a small drop in company tax. Otherwise, many people will get no benefit at all (eg solo businesses that aren't companies). Employees on low wages will benefit less than those on higher wages for super increases. The super tax will go straight into consolidated revenue to be spent on whatever. No talk of a special fund so that we can all benefit and protect the revenue.

As for Rudd and the ETS - forget about it. He's squibbed and doesn't know what to do about it.

Very disillusioned with Labor - most of all, I don't like the government not being straight with us.

Kerry O'Brien did a very good job tonight.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.