Kicking our SAS, page-43

1. 9,225 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    I am grateful for all who serve, and if any have committed war crimes then I leave it to the courts to pass judgement before I comment on specifics. However I am concerned at the toxic culture that a number of returned soldiers described and wonder if the alleged criminal actions of some, as outlined in the report, undermined Australian strategic interests.

On the battlefield, there may well be tactical advantage in eliminating anyone who may be a threat. But inevitably some won't be threats, just civilians in the wrong place at the wrong time. Some of the families and friends of those non-combatants allegedly murdered by Australian soldiers will be radicalised to hate and oppose Australia for the rest of their lives. More than that, any war crime we commit is recruiting material for terrorists, and it becomes harder for us to argue for the human rights of people, including our own citizens detained overseas.

The harm done to Australia and its strategic interests by a few is incalculable. Whatever tactical advantage those soldiers thought they created by committing war crimes is swept away by the strategic harm they have caused.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.