kids of lesbian parents do better than peers, page-56

1. 9,676 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3054
    "You would appear to only want parents who meet your idyll to have children. Who else would you exclude - mothers in their 30's and 40's due to down's syndrome risk, deaf mothers due to genetic risk and not being able to "llisten" to their children, ethnic minorities whose children may get bullied at school."

Absolutely not. Not sure how you derived that from my post as my point was simply that when considering gay couples bringing up children it should be about the child not the parents needs. Anyone who can, wants to, is fit to should have children. Not everyone fits that category as you stated junkies would be one.

After reading through this thread and doing a lot of thinking on the subject and my own experience of a close friend "finding out" his mum was gay when he was 16, i think it would be interesting to do another study. How do these kids perform against their peers in the areas of....

DRUG ADDICITON
    DEPRESSION
    SOCIAL ACCEPTANCE/INVOLVEMENT
    SUICIDE

Unfortunately my mate experienced all of the above. While his gay parent would not have been the sole reason it was at the time he found out that his downward spiral began, initially drugs was his way of dealing with coming to terms with the situation, the rest unfolded as a result of the drug taking. Im sure this is an extreme case but making the point that not enough consideration is given to the implications that being a gay parent will have on the childrens social interactions, particularly the later teenage years when simply being accepted by peers can set a persons social make up for the rest of their lives.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.