TZN 5.56% 3.8¢ terramin australia limited.

Thought I would respond with an interesting article topped up at...

1. 157 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 11
    Thought I would respond with an interesting article topped up at these prices....

Zinc prices rise to 10-year high after more than 500 jobs cut in northern Australia

• ABC Rural

By Eric Barker

Updated about 5 hours ago
      First posted about 9 hours ago

The McArthur River Mine in the NT saw more than 500 jobs lost.

(ABC News: Jane Bardon)
      Mining company Glencore's bold strategy to take about a third of its zinc off the market in 2015 has largely been credited for the mineral hitting a 10-year high.

Glencore's Lady Loretta and Mount Isa operations, as well as McArthur River in the Northern Territory, took the brunt of the 2015 supply cuts, with more than 500 jobs lost.

However, resource analyst Gavin Wendt said zinc was probably the best performing commodity in the past five years.

Mount Isa real estate agent John Tully says extensive cuts in zinc supply coincided with copper cuts and plummeted the population of the town.

(ABC Rural: Eric Barker)
      Mount Isa population declines dramatically
      With a strong reliance on mining, Mount Isa in north-west Queensland, was one of the main towns impacted by the zinc production cuts.

Mount Isa, in north-west Queensland, was one of the main towns to suffer from the extensive job cuts.

(ABC TV News, file image)
      Real estate agent John Tully said Glencore's decision to restrict its zinc supply came at a time when the town's copper mine, which is about 500 metres from his office, was also scaling back.

"It was pretty dramatic because they were putting off big numbers at the mine," Mr Tully said

Mr Tully said the quick decline in population really put the pressure on the real estate market.

"During that period there were a lot of bank recoveries, but now we are coming to the end of them hopefully," he said.

"We're based on the world economy, because what we have in the ground the rest of the world needs and until the world wants it, we just have to hold our ground."

Australia takes most of the supply cuts
      While Glencore's supply cuts physically took a large amount of zinc off the market, Mr Wendt said it also had a phycological impact on the market.

"When market watchers know that there is real action being taken by Glencore, which is the biggest producer of zinc in the world, then that has a big psychological impact on the market," he said.

A load of zinc from Century Mine leaves the Gulf of Carpentaria.

(ABC Rural: Virginia Tapp)
      No plans for Glencore to increase production
      Glencore's chief operating officer for Australian zinc assets Greg Ashe told the ABC in August that the market was still too volatile for the company to start increasing its production.

"As little as 18 months ago we saw zinc at a five-year low and today it's at a 10-year high," Mr Ashe said.

"We would like to see a little bit more certainty in where the price is going before we bring those metal units back into production."

Mr Ashe said with the company sitting on some high-grade zinc assets it did not want to risk another drop in price.

"The thing with Lady Loretta, the next 12 months of production that comes out of there will be the highest grade, highest margin material that happens, so we need to make sure we get it right," he said.

While Glencore waited on more certainty in the market, John Tully was confident Mount Isa would make an economic comeback.

"I've always had a lot of confidence in Mount Isa; it's one of the greatest towns in Australia and it has shown it with how we've come through this last one," he said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add TZN (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
3.8¢
Change
0.002(5.56%)
Mkt cap ! $80.42M
Open High Low Value Volume
3.8¢ 3.8¢ 3.8¢ $3.344K 88K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 30000 3.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
3.8¢ 72127 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 10.09am 26/04/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
TZN (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.