MFG 0.83% $8.36 magellan financial group limited

I wonder how many people watched The Big Short and if they...

1. 283 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 58
    I wonder how many people watched The Big Short and if they remember that investors were screaming at Michael Burry as his bets on the housing market was burning his fund at an incredible rate because of the swap premium it was burning. Ultimately he was proven correct. The difference is Burry had it in his contract that the fund can stop redemptions while Magellan can't. Burry also had steel balls to keep holding.

From what I can gather from this forum, MFG lost a mandate because it was underperforming the broader market. There were also complains about fees compared to the low expense ratio of ETFs. Some mentioned it's because it was involved in the unstable Chinese markets, others mentioned the arrogance of Hamish. All valid points I guess. But I think it would be foolish to think that investment banking, hedge funds, family offices and high frequency trading are dead, and the value of an analyst's report is worthless. That's in line with Michael Burry's view that a blind faith in ETFs creates distortions in the market. Bad companies gets bought up with good companies because they are in the same index.

For MFG, I think I have not seen many debt free companies gone under in 1-2 years. Maybe that is the time horizon they need to rebuild their reputation.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MFG (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$8.36
Change
-0.070(0.83%)
Mkt cap ! $1.511B
Open High Low Value Volume
$8.44 $8.44 $8.24 $12.59M 1.510M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
2 8816 $8.35

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$8.36 1686 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
MFG (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.