1. 5,798 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 95

From ABC News website this morning:

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/02/07/2156377.htm

Kokoda Track closed over mine dispute

By PNG correspondent Steve Marshall

Posted Thu Feb 7, 2008 8:04am AEDT
    The Owen Stanley Ranges

Closed: The Owen Stanley Ranges, site of the Kokoda Trail (AAP: Lloyd Jones)

Frustrated Papua New Guinea (PNG) landowners have closed the Kokoda Track to all tourists until a dispute over a proposed copper mine is resolved.

The Koiari landowners say they will stop tourists who try to pass through the track until the PNG Government gives a proposed copper mine the green light.

Canberra is lobbying the PNG Government to kill the mine project in favour of the tourism dollar.

The operation will force part of the track to be redirected, but landowner spokesman Bernie Jack says his people need the mine.

"I know Australians always keep up with the latest," he said.

"Australia you just press the button, you swipe the card, all these things.

"Why can't we have all these things? Are you telling us you want to be selfish, you want to be unfair to us?"

However, the boss of the proposed copper mine says he supports the landowner's decision.

Koiari landowners stand to reap huge rewards from the copper mine over a 10-year period.

The 1,000 strong clan plans to block the track until the PNG Government renews the company's exploration licence.

The mine's boss, Peter McNeil, from Frontier Resources supports the move.

"We've been forced into a position by the long delays associated with this, where the landowners and the company have decided it's time for action," he said.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LNR (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
0.4¢
Change
0.001(14.3%)
Mkt cap ! $9.775M
Open High Low Value Volume
0.4¢ 0.4¢ 0.3¢ $47.47K 13.55M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
59 57726829 0.3¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
0.4¢ 11347359 12
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LNR (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.