KZA 0.00% 8.0¢ kazia therapeutics limited

KZA Media Thread, page-1767

1. 7,515 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 337
    Ok - @peterkins22 has sparked an interest in chickens that I didn't know I had - I think this is what your referring to:

"..Ketogenesis and Glioblastoma
    Cells in the human body generally rely on glucose as ‘fuel’ for their energy requirements.
    However, when glucose is not readily available, cells can metabolise fats and proteins to
    provide energy. The fats and proteins are broken down to an intermediate form known as
    ketones, and so this biochemical pathway is referred to as ‘ketogenesis’.
    Unlike healthy cells, most tumour cells are poorly able to metabolise ketones, and so
    depend on glucose for their energy needs. Consequently, many researchers have
    experimented with ‘ketogenic diets’ as a potential treatment for cancer.1
    In addition, scientists in Professor Cantley’s lab have shown that insulin has the potential to
    counteract the anti-tumor effects of PI3K inhibitors.2
    Insulin is a hormone produced by the
    body in response to high levels of glucose. When the body is in a state of ketosis, glucose is
    absent, and so insulin falls to very low levels.
    For these reasons, there is a sound rationale to explore a combination of ketogenic diet and
    paxalisib in glioblastoma. In this study, patients will also receive metformin, a common antidiabetic drug, which will help to further lower insulin levels...."

I had an uncle on a restricted diet many years ago with cancer - he managed to stay alive for about 2 years longer than prognosed - obviously diet studies are not new then but I guess to possibly increase the efficacy of Paxalisib, (GDC-0084) was easier for me to remember rolleyes.png), this study may well be warranted given the GBM focus. Not sure though where the chickens come into it?
    Last edited by Pbnewby: 03/11/21

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add KZA (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.