labor/greens , poverty and welfare pimps, page-19

1. 13,068 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 18
    OK so a personal example may be useful. I am separated from my wife and about to move out the family home which the wife gets. I have 50:50 care of my three kids and my consent orders prohibit me from moving more than 20km from our current suburb on the lower north shore of Sydney.

My entitlement to weekly welfare is $350 parenting payment (or $270 newstart if my ex gets parenting payment) plus $200 family tax benefit plus $80 rent assistance so a grand total of $630. The cheapest rental in my suburb as of today is $470 a week for a two bedroom unit. If I move 10km west, I can get a 2 bedroom unit for $350 however I then have transport costs to get kids to school.

Taking the cheaper option leaves me with $280 a week to feed me for a whole week and three kids for half the week plus school costs and kids activities plus transport plus utilities plus everything else. Do you really think that amount is excessive?

That is my entitlement. The reality is that I don't get the above welfare because I work in a well paid job but there is no way that I would criticise the amount going to those that really are struggling on welfare.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.