labor, greens seal preferences deal

1. 5,318 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 89
    The Greens have confirmed that they have struck a preferences deal with Labor, which will affect the Senate and some key House of Representatives seats in the upcoming federal election.

It is understood the deal involves more than 50 key Lower House seats.

The deal means Labor will direct its Senate preferences to the Greens, while the Greens will direct preferences to the ALP in the Lower House seats.

But it is not yet known which seats will be affected.

The deal is likely to help the Greens secure the balance of power in the Senate and may get Labor over the line in some key marginal seats.

Greens Leader Bob Brown is expected to speak about the deal this morning.

The agreement comes as a Newspoll in today's News Limited papers shows support for the Greens on 12 per cent, up two points.

Prime Minister Julia Gillard is campaigning in Townsville and Opposition Leader Tony Abbott is in Melbourne as day three of the election campaign gets under way.

Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott began the day with a round of media interviews in which they sought to allay voter concerns on cost of living pressures.

Today's Newspoll shows Labor 10 points ahead of a Coalition on a two-party preferred basis.

While making their case for re-election, both Ms Gillard and Mr Abbott have been forced to hose down negative issues that are dogging their campaigns.

Ms Gillard is continuing to face questions over the legitimacy of her leadership as she tours her predecessor Kevin Rudd's home state, while Mr Abbott is still working to neutralise the issue of industrial relations.

The Opposition is seeking to play up Ms Gillard's role in the Government's policy decisions under Mr Rudd, saying the Government is no different just because it has a new leader.

But Ms Gillard has told AM she has made significant decisions and stamped her authority on the Government since she took on the job.

"I have brought my own perspective to the policies, and announced my own vision for this country, a vision about a sustainable Australia," she said.

"That is what I have been talking in Queensland about and will continue to discuss in Queensland today.

"Of course I put my own stamp on the breakthrough agreement that we had with the mining companies.

"I have also brought my own perspectives to the asylum seeker question and moved to strengthen border protection with a real plan."

But she has rejected claims she is rushing to the polls.

"When I became Prime Minister... I said frankly to the Australian people I know I haven't been elected and I want to make sure that Australians get the opportunity to exercise their vote," she said.

However Mr Abbott says Ms Gillard's leadership is no different to Mr Rudd's.

"The last three weeks of the Government under Julia Gillard has been the most chaotic and shambolic of all," he told Channel 9.

"You couldn't trust this Government with the last three years. Why should you trust them with the next?" he asked later.

Mr Abbott has also attacked Ms Gillard for being unable to say who would head the foreign affairs and finance portfolios after the election.

Mr Rudd has been widely tipped to take over in foreign affairs while finance minister Lindsay Tanner has announced he will not be recontesting his Melbourne seat at this election.

This morning Mr Abbott would not say what portfolio his predecessor Malcolm Turnbull would get in a Coalition government, but he did confirm that he would keep Julie Bishop in foreign affairs, Joe Hockey in Treasury, and Andrew Robb in finance.

"You know who the senior people in my team are," he said.

The issue of industrial relations still does not seem to be going away for Mr Abbott as he was again forced to clarify whether the Opposition planned to make changes to Labor's laws.

"If I win this election I will not change the legislation. I can hardly be any stronger than that," Mr Abbott said.

"We have no plans to make changes to the legislation, not now, not ever."

Both leaders are also attempting to show their family friendly credentials to voters, with an interest rates decision to come mid-way through the election campaign.

Ms Gillard reminded voters of the recently announced school uniform rebate, while Mr Abbott said he shared cost of living pressures with other families.

"I have a mortgage, a high mortgage," he said.

Source:
    http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2010/07/19/2957323.htm

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.