Labor hypocricy on franking credits exposed, page-19

1. 6,796 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 292
    Hi Yogi,
    There are many ways to skin this cat.
    I like the system that was in place for the 55 to 60 year olds retirees , probably now only for 58 or 59 year olds , with taxation at marginal rate,  no tax on your own money coming out, and a rebate for money that attracted a concessional rate on contribution and earnings.

Achieves pretty much what you have proposed, a decent tax free threshold, but if you have lots, your tax rate goes up.
    I do like the cap, a return to an RBL , and it certainly doesn't do any harm to the lower end.
    Put the 2 together , essentially returning to the pre Howard  2007 situation.

As far as the "end" is concerned, has to be a number put on that, a system  with taxation support aimed at making sure the odd person that lives north of 90 isn't inconvenienced,  not sensible in my view.
    And in effect the system recognises that, with the drawdown percentages which relate to age and projected average longevity.

On a totally different note, I struggle to find a good justification for the differential between the preservation age and the aged pension age.
    Easy for me to say now of course, as I've had my nose in the super trough since age 55, and would be just about eligible for an aged pension.
    It is not as if people retiring at 60 on super, save the government much in the way of centrelink payments.

cheers

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.