Labor hypocricy on franking credits exposed, page-22

1. 15 Posts.
    Hi boomeronrations

I think we are generally on the same page and realise there are many ways to skin the cat - unless you are the cat!
    Whilst universal superannuation was a great initiative by Paul Keating the original motivation and application has been meddled with so much that it has become a mess and quite discriminatory for some if Labour applies it's policy.  I have been an adherent to the original policy for 40 years and saved 10% of my income in super so that my wife and I could have a comfortable retirement as promised.  I have always been below the RBL and the new $1.6M cap.  In fact I am the perfect example of how it should work.  To now lose 25% of our income is both punitive and retrospective which is supposed to be contrary to good tax policy.

Perhaps an alternative is to ditch superannuation completely and pay a universal pension (via cash or tax credit) to everyone at retirement.  That way everyone would be liable to pay tax at marginal rates commensurate with their income offset by the value of the pension and the standard tax free threshold.  Every retiree would therefore be compensated equally by the tax system and that seems fair to me.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.