LYC 0.30% $6.76 lynas rare earths limited

Lanthanum and Cerium and Neodymium .. Also sorry dysprosium :(, page-29

1. 6,305 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1075
    How much fun can I have without getting deleted for baiting, that's the question in my mind as I respond. So tempting. LOL.

I will note with pride that I earned TWO awards for "abject nonsense".
    I don't know what the first is for, dammit, but at least the second provides a clue: "
    Promotion here that "price" is a negative factor demand growth is abject nonsense...
    "

Let me just say that if a person doesn't know high prices cause lower demand, then they really shouldn't be buying Lynas - they really shouldn't be buying any stock whatsoever.

The current level of investment in research designed to reduce or eliminate any REE usage is directly linked to (1) their high prices, which provide the economic opportunity for profit if successful, and (2) their uncertain supplies, which makes folks nervous about high prices AND absolute availability (can't get it at any price).

Suggesting that the problem is simply "
    the
    strong variability of the price"
    is balderdash. "OMG, this is horrible, our raw material price is going down again!", said no manufacturer ever.
    ==================
    Let's dig further - should we get The Dean?

The article ausheds linked is indeed a good one; FWIW, I read it and also recommend it. While I hadn't
    read this article, I'm familiar with several of the references she provided.

First, a bit of intro:
    When the author speaks of "This condition" in the following quote, she is referring to the problematic dominance of raw material prices in the total cost of permanent magnets motors.
    Now, let me give you the quote ausheds provided, but in the complete context:
    "This condition is worsened by the strong variability of the price of the so-called “rare earths” [7], elements used in small quantities but very important for the magnet quality. Apart from cost and availability problems, these materials arouse also important environmental, political and ethical issues regarding their extraction, trade and disposal.
    [End of quotes provided by ausheds; but why did the author mention this at all? Let's allow her continue...]
    For these reasons, huge resources are invested in the research and development of different materials and, especially, in the project of motors that minimize the use of permanent magnets, [8], or that allow the use of the so-called ferrites, i.e. ceramic magnetic materials that use less problematic materials.

You might be tempted to think I added the superlative "huge", but that was the author's choice. Almost sounds comical if it weren't true.

Again, such "demand destruction" research doesn't bother me, as I've explained:
    (1) I'm seeing meaningful advances in reducing rare earths in BOTH magnets and motors. The Toyota advance is very positive, imo. This extends the life of mines and reserves regardless of any demand growth. ALL such efforts alleviate fears of long-term scarcity and promote sustainability.
    (2) I'm familiar enough with long-term efforts to find something stronger than Nd-Pr-based PM materials to confidently state that it is highly unlikely to occur in the timeframe of my investment (20++ years). Anything they do find will be of a more exotic nature or have problems neomags do not (like iron nitride - discovered many years ago). Neomagnets are the hippest magnets.

Quick hop on the soapbox: Providing partial quotes out of context to "support" a bad premise is doing a disservice to those of us here for purposes of due diligence. Perhaps I'm wrong about that. At times it seems this is just an after-school program for ausheds' church choir.
    ======================

I don't disagree with much else of what ausheds has quoted or said about this article that belongs in this post. Obviously, I also disagree with aushed's 48VMH premise which he went on (and on and on) about without making the case he needs to; when it comes to doing that, it's crickets and more crickets.

His Bottom Line:
    "Every reason to be confident strong demand growth NdFeB in a multiplicity of demand segments, particularly given global GDP growth ATM, and Lynas has a business plan to take full advantage."

Totally agree, never said otherwise.

My Bottom Line:
    Current mining operations cannot fully support the PHEV/BEV roll-out.
    If Nd-Pr is to play a significant part in the final PHEV/BEV solution, then any Nd-based PM solution HAS to be seen as sustainable and economical. That can only happen if Nd supply increases or unit demand decreases. Otherwise they'll all follow BMW to some extent. So, thanks and credit are due to Toyota's scientists and engineers, imo.
    The choice by BMW to dump rare earth permanent magnets for their EV drive motors will be seen as troubling for those invested with Lynas with a myopic thesis based on the PHEV/BEV market. Also somewhat concerning to those invested in REE ops other than current producers. HOWEVER, since Lynas is sold out, it's really no big deal to them at all; not even if all PHEV/BEV manufacturers go that way.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$6.76
Change
0.020(0.30%)
Mkt cap ! $6.318B
Open High Low Value Volume
$6.70 $6.82 $6.68 $12.37M 1.829M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
1 4000 $6.75

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$6.78 7217 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 18/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
LYC (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.