late night nap in a cemetary

1. 420 Posts.
    My job entails hiring out party equipment - often I choose to pick it up late at night after the party, rather than driving around in the heat of the following day to collect it.

I chose to do this last night. Around midnight, I had picked up a piece of equipment from a local party in Brisbane. I had another three hour wait however, till the next party finished before the equipment hired there could be retrieved.

Feeling tired, I didn't want the long drive home to the outer southern suburbs, only to have to return an hour or two later back to the city. So I decided a nap was in order - but where?

The answer lept out at me. I was driving by Toowong Cemetary. It looked so peaceful. Stopping the car, I gingerly and respectfully walked out amongst the headstones, listening to the eery hoots of a nearby owl. I soon selected a spot between two gravestones & lay down, looking at the stars. The twinkling lights of Brisbane city shimmered in the distance. A cooling breeze wafted across my face.

"Ahh, there's not another place in the world I'd rather be right now",
    I contentedly mused to myself. An hour passed, then two. Dozing lightly, I felt at peace.

All in all, a nap last night on the dry leaves amongst those silently resting in peace for so long, did me a world of good. I felt at one with them. I look forward to repeating the experience, next time I'm in the area late on a Friday or Saturday night.

The problem is, the associates that I recounted this experience to think I'm odd.

"Why the hell would you want to sleep in a cemetary for?"
    , they've enquired incredulously.

My answer to them was why not? It was quiet & peaceful. No disrespect had been intended. After a long day running around, I needed a rest - and where better could this occur, late at night when you're away from home?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.