PRC 0.00% 61.0¢ pike river coal limited

Here is an article from NZPA that appeared today and gives a bit...

1. 8,065 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 383
    Here is an article from NZPA that appeared today and gives a bit of information about the current state of play with PRC.
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""
    Pike River's first coal shipment to leave Feb

NZPA | Friday, 22 Jan 2010

The drilling of roadways through a faulted, or graben, area of the Pike River Coal Ltd mine has pushed back the start of hydro-mining to June or July from the March quarter but the mine still expects its first export shipment to leave Lyttelton Port of Christchurch in February.

The private sector mine on the West Coast has employed 150 people and intends to employ ten more to support hydro-mining. Coal has been extracted to date by the machinery developing the mine.

The mine has experienced delays from a rockfall and from the need to drill through a graben area, now confirmed to be 150m wide.

The main shaft goes through the Hawera fault to a pit bottom area. Roadways drive upward from the pit bottom and water and gravity is used to move the coal down to the pit bottom.

On a drive out to a hydro-mining area the graben was encountered last year. The coal seam dropped about 20m below the graben.

It was decided to drill and blast through the graben area to avoid mining below the pit bottom level.

Roadways have now been constructed through 106m of rock in the graben and work on getting through the graben is expected to be finished by early February.

Meantime there have been no further fault areas encountered in inseam drilling in the mine. One drill hole went 400m into the seam on the western boundary of the graben without intersecting any faulting.

The timing of the first hydro-mining is dependent on progress through the graben.

The delay in commissioning of hydro-mining will defer the mining of 120,000 to 150,000 tonnes of coal production to the September quarter.

The company has been storing coal at Ikamatua for transport by rail to Lyttelton. The first export shipment of 20,000 tonnes of coal will be worth about $3.4 million.

Coal prices are rising due to demand in China and the company noted reports that the price for premium hard coking coal could rise by 40 percent in the year starting on April 1, 2010 compared to the current year.

The company has signalled that it needs more money for working capital and said today an announcement was likely in the next few weeks.
    """""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""""

So, while PRC still faces some difficulties to overcome there are certain positives mentioned here that in 6 months to 9 months will be appearing clearly if things go ahead more smoothly from here.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PRC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.