PRC 0.00% 61.0¢ pike river coal limited

Although I doubt that the spot indicated as the point of...

1. 1,137 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 21
    Although I doubt that the spot indicated as the point of explosion is absolutely accurate, it is consistent with the reports the initial explosion was in the access tunnel and not in the mining area. Another point of note is the methane extraction line was damaged in this area and spewing 800l/m of methane into the tunnel and was a reason given for not entering.

I am predicting that a lot of investigation will centre upon this extraction line and it's association with the explosion. It's location, maintenance, susceptibility to damage, condition, suitability, design and installation and operation will be scrutinised. It is a Mining Engineering factor that may well be the catalyst of the whole.

In my view the company failed to provide a safe work place, simple as that. It may be argued that such places are never absolutely safe and that the facilities in place were adequate for normal operations, I agree, and use that argument to require that the workplace be made safe for abnormal operations as well.

Adequate becomes inadequate very easily in a dangerous environment. Which is why tunnels and buildings have Safe Exits and fire suppression systems and all the other life support considerations the environment dictates.

The forecast operating profit of this mine was sufficient to cater for those requirements. This disaster is a case of short-cuts and engineering economic haste, lack of consideration and implementation, and oversight imv.
    No doubt environment conservation requirements will be used as some excuse, how pathetic that will be.

The Commissions findings will be fascinating.

The saying about ships sinking for the sake of a halfpenny of tar comes to mind.

I feel deeply for the families of those lost.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PRC (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.