SGH 0.00% 54.5¢ slater & gordon limited

Lawyers in U.K not happy

1. 77 Posts.
    Interesting comments. Seems there will be a political fight over this.

• There are 2 issues here.
      1. Putting the small claims limit up to £5,000 will put a lot of people out of jobs. Not just staff of law firms, but court staff, and insurer claim handlers. Not just that though, the staff of the companies that also support the law firm, whether it be for stationary or IT.
      2. By denying an individual the right to compensation for being injured in a road traffic accident, the government is essentially trying to change the tort of negligence. Surely, that cannot be right. The government cannot just change a whole area of law for the benefit of the insurance industry.
      We PI lawyers need to do something about this now. We stood by a few years ago whilst the government slashed the costs we could recover and did absolutely nothing. Well, now the time has come when we need to stand up for ourselves and stop this ridiculousness!
    • My wife and I are PI practitioners. Fast track work under £5k makes up a significant part of our caseloads. We paid a lot to go to University and then to complete professional study (LPC). After completing this, and owing £ thousands, we both entered the profession as very poorly paid paralegals and fought hard to get similarly very lowly paid training contracts. Over the years we have worked hard over the years to help injured parties and make a living. As Solicitors go, we are not well paid. We are now 9 years PQE, have 2 children (under 5) and a mortgage. We are only recently still coming to terms and trying to find the profit after the Jackson reforms. Yesterdays news has probably made both of us redundant from our current positions, if not the industry as a whole. As far as I can see, our only mistake has been being idealists - we both entered the legal profession to help victims. Sadly, we now appear to be the victims.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SGH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.