laying property price myths to rest, page-6

1. 1,366 Posts.
    Demographia vs HIA vs Mortgage Choice vs RP Data etc, all of these different ratios and input methods are just ambiguous semantics. It's just arguing over methodology. It's mostly irrelevant if you ask me.

The real argument should be what level of resources a person has shell out to put a roof over their heads. The way to do this is demographia methodology now vs demographia methodology 10+ years ago. RP data now vs RP data 10+ years ago. Comparing a demographia multiple today of 7-9 with an RP Data (or whoever) multiple of 4-6 today because it uses dodgy input variables such as super balances (picture me grimacing with my head in my hands) is counter intuitive at best, and downright silly at worst. What they should be doing is comparing their RP data 6 x median to their RPdata 3 x median decades ago applying the same methodology, because every methodology, whether it's demographia, ABS, or industry shill data all indicate the capital outlay has grown above and way beyond it's proportion to real wage rises.

A person has a working life of 45 to 50 years depending on when they leave school and what they do. How much of that was spent to pay for the roof two decades ago versus now? People are devoting more resources to acquire the same unimproved or comparative shelter today than they did 20 years ago.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.