i agree, mostly with the standard of which subjects are taught....

1. 657 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 7
    i agree, mostly with the standard of which subjects are taught.

i know a professor who just retired two years ago, family friend, but i also had him as a lecturer a few years back. he was very disappointed in the way the university education was heading, especially with the influx of international students, and this guy im talking about is very, very left...rides his bike everyhwere etc etc.

but his problem was not only that they couldnt speak english and they wanted to go into AUSTRALIAN law and management, it was the fact that he as a senior marker and lecturer was essentially told (read between the lines) that he needs to pass these students irrespective of marks! because they paid upfront fees and usually a 10-20% premium

on another note, i remember not too long ago, at uni, in final year a student of finance or accounting, cant remember which one, didnt know when the GFC was. i'll repeat that. a student that studied economics at high school for 2 years, then did 3/4 years of business, accounting and finance didnt know when the GFC was. pathetic. i dont know if this was a uni issue or a personal one, but there were many students i went to uni with that couldnt tell the difference between a bond and a stock.

my point is, at what time will people realise (if they ever do) that they need to teach themselves and stop relying solely on uni? i used to read historical economic books and finance/investing books because i had a feeling that i wasn't going to learn too much at uni, and thank god i did, because i can barely count on 2 hands the amount of things i have taken from uni to my job

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.