MXG multiplex group

tony blair on the wembley fiasco! Blair expresses Wembley relief...

1. 4,770 Posts.
    tony blair on the wembley fiasco! Blair expresses Wembley relief

Last Modified: 6 Apr 2006
    Source: ITN

Tony Blair has admitted that he is glad that he is not carrying the can for the beleaguered £757 million Wembley Stadium redevelopment project.

The Prime Minister stressed that the new-look national stadium would would be "fantastic" when it finally does open its doors to the publiuc and that the "troubles" would be forgotten.

Mr Blair said: "I think everyone just wants it sorted out. It will be a fantastic stadium when it's done and, believe me, once it is and is open, everyone will forget about the troubles leading up to it. But, fortunately, this is one project that I don't have to take responsibility for."

Australian construction firm Multiplex revealed last week that "full practical completion" of the rebuilt stadium would not be achieved until September, meaning that a number of rock concerts, including Bon Jovi, the Rolling Stones and Take That, and a number of high-profile football and rugby league showpieces have had to be switched to other venues.

Even when Multiplex have completed their work later this year, Wembley will have to undergo two months of test events before it will be able to officially open.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add MXG (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.