lest we forget, page-2

1. 1,859 Posts.
    Hi Rabbitoh, yes lest we forget, I want to reply to your post, like me you have strong feeling about our fallen, couldn't let your post just fade away.

Heard the last post played on Ben Fordam's afternoon show, got me thinking, I'm not all that far from the battlefields of WW1.

Over the years I have visited a few Australian & Commonwealth War Cemeteries, the NT's Adelaide River, New Guinea, Thailand, France, Arnhem in the Netherlands, and recently Gallipoli, Turkey, all pretty emotional moving places.

There is one thing that jumps out at you when visiting these War cemeteries, the ages of these men, mostly all of them are in their 20's, think about that! The older I get the more it sinks in, I'm in my 60's.

Both of my grandfathers served at the Somme in France during WW1, so this was a must visit area for me. I walked some of the old battle grounds, not all Australians lines, the trenches are still visible. I tried to imagine what my grandfathers lived through, I can't, I tried to imagine going over the top into machine guns, I can't, yet tens of thousands of young Australians and other nationalities did.

Recently I walked along the beach at ANZAC Cove, looked up at the cliffs and tried to imagine how thousands of Australians and NZ's lived there for months under incredible conditions, I can't. I stood in the Lone Pine cemetery and watched the sun set, I recited the Ode!

Australians continue to pay the ultimate sacrifice, nothings changed, they're still mostly in their 20's

Some weeks ago I was reading online about a new suburb being created in Melbourne, can't recall who this new place was to be named after, but I think it's about time some of these young men where honoured by including them on street names and suburbs. Wish our leaders, community and Govt were as patriotic as they make out.

Dtrad
  2. This thread is closed.

You may not reply to this discussion at this time.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.