LYC 2.33% $7.90 lynas rare earths limited

lets get it straight about lifton

1. 183 Posts.
    Jack Lifton, who clearly knows a fair bit about REEs, gets far too much press IMO, given his completely divided loyalties. Because many scribes, journalists and sundry other brokers/advisors know next to nothing about the intricicies of REEs - they turn to the nearest/latest "guru" in the area and we all end up with Jack Lifton's comments interspersed with their own commentary.

Today there is another classic. Jack is pontificating under the byline of another writer on:
    http://www.thedailycommodities.com/2010/10/07/the-goldilocks-mining-principle-right-sizing-rare-earth-mining-ventures/

In it he concludes when summing up the next big three REE companies on the world scene to be the following:

"The only US-located venture actively underway, that could meet the criteria discussed above � small size and commercial heavy-rare-earth content � is Ucore Rare Metals� Bokan Mountain project in Alaska. Ucore is currently undertaking a drilling program there, to confirm and to verify the extent of a very significant occurrence of heavy-rare-earth-rich deposits at Bokan Mountain.

Globally, two other ventures with projects meeting these criteria, and of which I have direct knowledge, are Great Western Minerals Group (GWMG) of Canada and Frontier Rare Earths, a UK-domiciled company. The former has potential right-sized assets both in Canada and South Africa. The latter has them also, but only in South Africa. GWMG is particularly attractive, because if it can add a small separation, refining and metal-production operation to its existing deposit and magnet alloys plants in the UK and USA, it can become one of the only viable freestanding rare earth operation outside of China to be profitable through vertical integration. Great Western�s business model shows that it is profitable at the stage in the supply chain where it is selling rare-earth permanent-magnet alloys.

Note that Lynas doesn't rate a mention. The big problem is that he then states -

Disclosure: I have been, or am currently a paid consultant, to all three companies named above. I currently do not own shares in any of them.

Whatthe???? I am going nuts when I see posters quoting this guy! He may know a fair bit about REEs - but his opinions are worthless IMO because of his vested interests. Good on him if he's found a high paying audience to listen to this stuff - but not for me!

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LYC (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.