EDV 0.20% $5.05 endeavour group limited

Thankyou for the thoughtful reply, there are a few very helpful...

1. 530 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 86
    Thankyou for the thoughtful reply, there are a few very helpful paragraphs in there. The Dulux spinoff was one of the best and I know that you had a great return with it. TME also turned out to be a great investment and I know we both had some success with this one. In fact most of the spinoffs on the asx in the last decade have performed well (DLX, ORA, TME, REC, COL) , or if not well at least they have not been complete failures (CYB,S32).

The point about AASB16 was well made. I was aware of the change but hadn't realised that it flattered EBIT for Endeavour to the extent it did. After all many of the EV/EBIT ratios are around the same as the P/E ratio of a few years ago. Which is making me question some of my future decisions around asset allocation. The EV/EBIT of 20 you mentioned sounds plausible today, but would have sounded ridiculous a few years ago. Like many investors on here I have just held and added to my holdings through the pandemic. Now we find ourselves in investment purgatory, sitting on massive capital gains liabilities, in overvalued companies, though 'there is no alternative'. Hence the interest in Endeavour even at these prices. My thinking was if the price drifted below about $5.50 it would have been worth rolling over some capital into it, even at the price of CGT. That is looking less likely by the day.

In my admittedly shorter investing career, my best and lowest stress returns have come from buying good businesses in panics or when they are out of favour - then I just hold them and do nothing. I think EDV is a good business and will tick along nicely, but it is probably not the sort of business that will double EBIT every 5 years. A 20% difference in the purchase price will make a big difference to returns going forward and the current price is a bit too high for me so I will pass. No doubt EDV will do well even with the slow growth/legislatively risky pub/pokie component making up around half the busniess. Perhaps there will be a chance to buy it cheaper in the future, only time will tell.

Thanks again for the detailed reply. Any thoughts on the PEXA spinoff? EDV is much less spongy on the numbers front and the PEXA valuation numbers seem very high. That is a spinoff that will need to double EBIT every few years.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add EDV (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$5.05
Change
-0.010(0.20%)
Mkt cap ! $9.044B
Open High Low Value Volume
$5.07 $5.09 $5.02 $88.24M 17.14M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 125866 $5.04

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$5.06 457958 18
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 21/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
EDV (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.