AEV 0.00% 1.1¢ avenira limited

LFP battery/Phosphate news, page-770

1. 4,531 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 297
    Nah they're a lot safer than Li-ion batteries but only marginally safer than LFP from what I've been able to find. I suppose it depends on who makes the batteries. Ternary batteries are relatively safe too, (despite the FUD against thermal runaway) but LG have had the most issues it seems.

There's also no supply chains set up for sodium-ion batteries. I liken it to when EV's started to switch to nickel cathodes (from LFP) back in 2008ish. There was this brand new battery that was superior but no supply chains existed and the tech was in its infancy. Fast forward 12 years and everyone used a high-nickel cathode battery.....and then supply chains were wrecked with a few macro issues over the past couple years so the battery makers went "hey, look LFP patents have expired, the tech is suitable now, supply chains are established and they're much cheaper and safer than ternary batteries" so they started switching to LFP.

Sodium-ion batteries have a lot lower density than LFP so range would be 250km max WLTP (if that in real life). The next gen Sodium-ion batteries might be suitable for a broader range of EV's but that will be into the next decade or late 2020's at best.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AEV (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.