AGY 11.1% 4.0¢ argosy minerals limited

'I'm a bit dubious about the assertion that since a very few...

1. 2,166 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5800
    'I'm a bit dubious about the assertion that since a very few producers become uneconomical much below this level it is a price floor. Plenty of producers both spot and brine can produce significantly below the current spot price.'

If 275kt LCE come from high-cost sources (remembering last year's supply was only around 800kt LCE), and since the market is still pretty tight (meaning demand is not far off supply), pulling even a part of that from the supply chain would have a significant impact. I'll add that this is what happened in May, so it's not the first time this scenario has played out. With respect to increased production globally, sure it has but there is also significant increased demand too from the EV and ESS growth.

The key point is that the lithium price spike has allowed sources of lithium in China to come online at the extreme end of the cost curve. Like in May, those sources cannot sustain ever decreasing prices and have to shut down eventually.

'Heck, look at Johnny-come-lately AGY claiming it can produce brine far below the current spot price'
    'The reality is that global production is steadily growing and AGY(/Puna) doesn't have a unique ability to produce far more cheaply than everyone else.'

That's incorrect. AGY is a brine operation which are traditionally at the bottom end of the cost curve (if AGY ends up like other typical South American brine operations cost wise). I have a rough qualitative cost curve in the figures above and clearly different sources of lithium have different extraction/processing costs. Low grade lepidolite has always been notoriously expensive. So, if prices keep dropping, the right end of the cost curve will be shutting down output first. The point is that current spot prices in China are very near the cost curve of these high-end producers, and they are already reported to be cutting output.

'I know it's much more popular to just slide the setting all the way to bullish and put everything else on ignore, but that doesn't really serve us well, it just helps us feel better for a few minutes.'

What's up with the puritan police on these forums lately?! If it went over your head, fine, but don't stifle debate with such silly advice.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add AGY (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
4.0¢
Change
0.004(11.1%)
Mkt cap ! $56.05M
Open High Low Value Volume
3.7¢ 4.0¢ 3.7¢ $166.2K 4.325M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 83632 3.9¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
4.0¢ 1442072 11
View Market Depth
Last trade - 11.45am 27/09/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
AGY (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.