g'day @pintohoo what would be the the different result with...

1. 41,981 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 642
    g'day @pintohoo

what would be the the different result with sortition? it would be similar with steadily voting in Independents.

we already see how independents function in PH. sure share resources, meetings with other MPs and informed community/business representations, discuss problems and possible solutions.... yet each maintains their own decision making and accesses their electorate for debate assessing the desired outcomes of the electorate.

there've been a range of issues since elected that have shown the value of independents. they form partnerships of others who are interested if a issue, develop polity frames and discuss, refine and decide on the structure of a bill to put to parliament.

In short they would function freely to form connections and move on to other connections, supporting or opposing or simply interested. (neutral).

this is how many workplaces operate, even within departments. the difference would be no leader directing their efforts, no whip to ensure they vote according to party policy, no plans worked out to entrap other MPs or make others look like idiots, no factional brawls and branch stacking to plot the downfall of other party members.

I can only put forward my thoughts pinot. it would be up to each term of independent members to decide how they function. while there are parties they would be limited by numbers until they become dominant. but once parties are in a non-dominant position, or are entirely gone, they would need to decide on how "govt' is formed.

this may result in an entire change in ministerial management and how decisions are made. I would hope they'd replace political ministers with a panel of experts to manage departments with communication between departments and MPs to discuss decisions and learn about matters to be decided.

so how do you see sortition functioning in parliament pinot. you've backed sortition repeatedly and for that I give you much credit. can you outline what you think would result from a sortition selected PH? would you keep the Senate?

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.