liberals expell some campaign workers, page-14

1. 8,980 Posts.
    A little bit more on Mz Kelly's reaction from the ABC net. I've only posted the relevant bit: (Check the full bit on the ABC website) (I love the bit where she says that "people have failed to see the funny side of it!" Yah, what a belly laugh!

The New South Wales state Liberal Party has expelled two of its members over the flyer and Labor and the Liberals have both referred it to the electoral commission.

But Ms Kelly says people have failed to see the funny side.

"I think its intent is to be a send-up, but it obviously hasn't worked," she said.

Labor's Penny Wong told Lateline she wants Prime Minister John Howard to come clean.

She says he should "disclose all that he knows and all that the Liberal Party knew about this scandalous affair".

The President of the Australian Federation of Islamic Councils, Ikebal Patel, says it is disappointing that such tactics have emerged at this stage of the campaign.

"It is very concerning that so far at least from the perspective of race and religion it has been a fairly clean election, and at this late stage for something like this to pop up does not augur well at all for democracy," he said.

The affair is damaging for Prime Minister John Howard, who is giving his major speech to the National Press Club in Canberra this afternoon."

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.