@sailorgirl About 8 years ago I was involved in the original...

1. 7,789 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 58
    @sailorgirl About 8 years ago I was involved in the original FTTP rollout. The last 20 metres lead in is the easy and cheapest part. All that is involved is taping the fibre cable to your existing copper lead in and using the lead in as a draw wire to pull the fibre through your existing underground conduit under your garden bed, pets grave, driveway. This was successful in around 98% of cases. It was only in cases of the conduit being blocked by cement, garden roots etc that any digging was done. From a business perspective I really do not like the opt in or opt out method. Telco's would need to maintain multiple networks just to service a few reluctant customers. We saw that under the old PMG/Telecom days when the cost of providing services to remote country customers was heavily subsidised by city customers. A pure NBN brings many savings. At the end of the day I would expect that the retail telco would pick up the tab for the few hundred dollars fibre lead in rather than leave the customer on some fault ridden hotspotch cable where they are forever trying to fault find the problem and inability to manage speed increases.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.