life after polictics

1. 849 Posts.
    Isn't it wonderful to see an ex-PM not shooting his mouth of on every subject trying to rekindle their old PM days. After Fraser, Hawke & Keating this is so refreshing. Some people have the intelligence to know when their use by date has expired. Well done JH.

Howard tight-lipped on Costello's future

Former prime minister John Howard has refused to weigh into the debate over Liberal backbencher Peter Costello's political future.

Mr Howard received a Companion of the Order of Australia award at a ceremony at Government House in Canberra this afternoon.

The award was announced in the Queens Birthday Honours list in June.

In his first media conference since losing office last year, Mr Howard maintained his silence over speculation Peter Costello is considering a tilt at the Liberal leadership.

Instead he wished the former Treasurer a happy birthday with his family.

"I saw them a couple of weeks ago and they're in good form," he said.

"They're both very healthy and happy and that's nice and I hope they have a very nice day."

Mr Howard was asked if he was a confidante for Mr Costello, however he refused to answer.

"Come on, not getting into that, off limits, not talking," he said.

The Governor-General paid tribute to Mr Howard as he received the highest award in Australia's honours system.

Outgoing Governor-General Major General Michael Jeffery listed introducing the GST and tightening gun control as just some of Mr Howard's achievements.

"It's been an absolutely marvellous performance as prime minister and I'm sure every person in this country would join with me in congratulating you on such a well deserved award," he said.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.