Linda Burney quits, page-37

1. 12,325 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 180
    LINDA BURNEY, MINISTER FOR INDIGENOUS AUSTRALIANS: I will not promise that I won't cry. So, everyone, today I'm announcing that I will not recontest the seat of Barton at the next Federal Election. As the Prime Minister said, after 21 years in politics, eight years in the Federal Parliament and 13 years in the New South Wales Parliament, it's time for me to pass on the baton to the next generation. It is time for me to pass on that baton. People like Malarndirri McCarthy, Marion Scrymgour, Jana Stewart and Gordon Reid. Stepping back will give me time to do other things, including spending more time with family and loved ones. My entire life has always been about service and I believe I have a valuable contribution to make outside the Parliament in the future. I'll be also standing down, like Brendan, from the Ministry. During my two years as Minister, I am proud to have made a difference to the lives of First Nations people in this country and I believe I've made a difference to the whole country. Record investment in housing. The Prime Minister and I announced that not so long ago in a remote community in the Northern Territory. To halve overcrowding in remote Northern Territory communities in the next decade. Replacing the old CDP program, creating real jobs in Remote Australia with proper wages and decent conditions. And our landmark Justice Reinvestment program, helping at risk children and young people from having their future robbed by the criminal justice system. I have been through more than my fair share of life's ups and downs, but I think I've done it with kindness, grace, resilience, intelligence and integrity. Of course, the Voice Referendum, as the Prime Minister said, didn't deliver the outcome we had hoped, but I think history will treat it kindly. But I know in my heart I gave it all that I could to close the gap and to advance reconciliation. I have been blessed to call so many of my colleagues friends, like Brendan and like the Prime Minister. To you, Prime Minister – I'm going to call you Anthony today. To you, Anthony, thank you for always being by my side, for your support and your friendship. To the people of Barton, my local community in Sydney, thank you for giving me the opportunity of a lifetime to serve you in the Parliament and I will continue to serve you as your local MP until the next federal election. To all the staff that I have worked with over the two decades, I can't thank you enough and I want to thank my friends and the branch members and the New South Wales and the Federal Labor Party. And thank you, Brendan, for being here today together. Thank you. I want to thank my friends, as I said. Can I conclude with this? I was the first Indigenous person elected to the New South Wales Parliament, the first Indigenous woman in the House of Representatives, the first Indigenous woman to be appointed by this wonderful man here to Cabinet. But I won't be the last. To me, that is progress, and it's time to hand the baton on. It's been one heck of a journey and I've loved every minute of it. Thank you.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.