From the linked article.our world-leading infrastructure finance...

1. 14,237 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 5
    From the linked article.
    our world-leading infrastructure finance sector and even people like me will go back to working for foreigners at a great cost to Australia.

However, the decision it took to allow hundreds of thousands of people to apply for early release of their super funds disturbs me.The decision has been taken and obviously cannot be reversed, and most of the people who get money from their super fund will desperately need it and use it well. However, when the fog clears, the truth will sink in that we mortgaged our children’s future to protect the health of our ageing parents.

Whatever some people tell you, they can't keep borrowing or printing money without some vicious long-term consequences. The rebuilding of the nation needs long-term capital and the best place to get that capital will be from our own world-leading pool of savings.

My relevant thoughts over the last few weeks about early access to super:

*Blanket advice to people not to access their super early, should be more nuanced.
    People facing bankruptcy and the loos of their house may be better off in the long term if they can hang onto it.
    I believe homeowners are better off than renters in retirement.
    But if they just access super to maintain a standard of living, I think is unwise.
    They may miss out on a life lesson about building a buffer for the rainy day.

*There has been talk in the past of inducing more of our Super funds into financing needed infrastructure in Australia, rather than spreading their risk and buying established infrastructure overseas.
    The early access to super scheme shows how that could create problems for funds when a Government, at the drop of a hat, requires them to come up with unforeseen liquidity.
    Those funds with a large pool of unlisted assets become forced sellers of listed assets when the market is down. They would rather be buyers of listed assets at a time like that.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.