PLS 1.29% $3.15 pilbara minerals limited

Lithium Demand surge, page-286

1. 709 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 95
    Hey OzBlue - I realy appreciate you engaging with me as if I'm a person of good-faith trying to understand the value proposition of a stock. That's really classy of you.

Here are the thoughts around your points:
    1. Crude oil has been running out for ever, and yet we keep finding more of the stuff. so I'm not convinced by that argument - sure it will get more expensive, but we will keep finding and using the stuff. There was a lot of algae back when Earth was more like Mercury - in fact that's why we're not in a Mercury like planet (despite humanity's best efforts)

2. Climate change is real, and it's man-made. The policy question is "should we do anything about it?" Given the IPCC said that it would be impossible to avoid catastrophic climate change after 2012 suggests to me that we need to focus on adaptation rather than prevention. EVs would still be part of that adaptation.

3. While it is true that people use their cars for transport, that's not why people buy them. People don't buy cars for transport - they buy cars for freedom and status. EVs are cool, but if we're being honest, range anxiety, as irrational as it is in the normal use case, is a thing. Graphine batteries resolve that by giving us the convenience of petrol (charge in a few minutes), Lithium Ion, on account of its chemistry, isn't there. So, I'm not convinced the use-case argument holds up.

4. Yep - Nissan already did that and stopped selling the Leaf in Oz, even though it was a hit in Europe. I want a Leaf as our second car, but now only used ones are available - which means expensive battery replacement every few years. Financially it's a non-starter. Hyundai and Kia are likely going to have an offering that's cheaper and has an amazing warranty, but will they really be a market success? Or will they remain Niche? Are EVs really the next "smart phone"? Or are we waiting on super-capactors to make that shift? In Lithium's favor - Toyota is really trying to solve all the issues with Solid-state lithium - which looks promising, but it's a decade away. Like Fusion

5 & 6. My argument isn't about the cost of EV - although that's a factor - it's the use-case - cars are not transport - they're freedom. And, for some unknown reason millennials aren't getting driving licenses. When Uber makes a self-driving car appear, and take me home from the pub at 3am, while I sleep it off in the back won't that significantly shrink the number of cars on the road? I'll just summon one when I need it - sure the fleet that services that need will need powering - but there will be far far fewer cars. And, how do we know that they won't use super-capactors? Wouldn't it be more rational for them to use instantly charging tech? If they take several hours to charge, they're not making money while they charge - they're just sitting there depreciating. Fast charging technology (ie less time than it takes to refuel a petrol powered car)- regardless of it's chemistry - will be invested in hand over fist.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add PLS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$3.15
Change
0.040(1.29%)
Mkt cap ! $9.420B
Open High Low Value Volume
$3.16 $3.18 $3.12 $71.90M 22.82M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 112482 $3.15

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$3.16 320783 6
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 25/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
PLS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.