LTR 8.28% 78.5¢ liontown resources limited

Lithium Related Media Articles, page-19447

1. 456 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2011
    Xinfeng Investments in Namibia just had their mining license revoked because they misled the Namibian government regarding their intent, after Namibia found that they had shipped 78 kt of DSO from their mine. That was in May of this year, though I can't find any follow-up, and would ASSUME that once the correct palm or palms were greased, even if unannounced, this probably was re-started.

Leo Lithium's JV (forget the Chinese partner) at the Goulamina Mine in Mali just announced that they were halting DSO shipments to China due to the low prices they're getting for it. That announcement was on 4 September.

Premier African Minerals of Zimbabwe started shipping DSO to Suzhou TA&A in March of this year, from their Zulu Mine. They announced a formal OTA which states PAM will ship 48 kt per annum of 1% DSO. They're also supposed to build a concentrator to produce "SC6," though it's actually expected to be less refined.

Zhejiang Huayou Cobalt and Sinomine Resource Group have also announced investments in "Battery Minerals in Zimbabwe," but I haven't run down the details on those mines. Finally, there are at least the following other Lithium mines currently producing DSO and shipping to China:

1. Sabi Star Lithium and Tantalum Project, which has no plans for a concentrator, but which aims to produce 1 mt per annum (yes, one million tonnes) of DSO.

2. Arcadia Hard Rock Lithium Mine, which is believed to have the third largest hard rock reserve in the world. I can't find details on their plans or production numbers, but they're producing.

3. Bikita Hard Rock Lithium Mine, which is currently producing. I can't find details of current production, but they're currently increasing production, with DSO output slated to increase to 1.2 mt per annum, as well as to build a concentrator plant that will process 2 mt per annum (with the idea that DSO production will continue to increase to 2 mt per annum by the time the plant is completed). No info I can find on how much concentrate or at what SC level they will be producing, but they will be running 2 mt per annum through the plant.

Zimbabwe's development arm (ZIDA) struck a deal earlier this year that will allow a consortium of Chinese firms to build a lithium tech facility on 5,000 hectares which will include multiple concentrator trains and at least chemical plant, with construction due to be COMPLETED by 2025. Again, I don't find data on output capacities or which downstream product (carbonate or hydroxide, for instance) will be involved, but one can see that China is digging into African resources like a tick.

In theory, Zimbabwe recently banned shipping DSO, to force foreign investment in country, but they also appear to be turning a blind eye to DSO shipping, at least until concentrator plants and downstream plants are constructed.

Finally, S&P Global Market Intelligence compiled a map of Africa in August of 2022 showing at least 17 lithium mining projects, 3 of which were already in production at the time and five more of which have started mining since. We're all acting like A11's Ewoyaa Project in Ghana is the only African plant coming online, but in fact by the time they are up and running in 2025, there will likely be between a dozen and twenty Lithium mines producing in Africa, and except for two (Ewoyaa and one other), they're all either owned by Chinese firms or they're local/Chinese JVs.

Hope that helps, and have a nice day,

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LTR (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.