LTR 3.89% 80.3¢ liontown resources limited

And so it begins ....... (The West Australian - 5 Sept, 2024) Up...

1. 5,243 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 3945
    And so it begins .......

(The West Australian - 5 Sept, 2024)

Up to 300 WA jobs to be cut as Arcadium Lithium announces it will mothball Mt Cattlin mine near Ravensthorpe.

WA’s mining sector will be hit with more job losses as Arcadium Lithium reveals it will mothball the Mt Cattlin mine in Ravensthorpe by the middle of next year, marking the first WA domino to topple from the battery metal’s current price downturn.

Up to 300 jobs could be affected as US-based lithium producer Arcadium Lithium announced it would place its Mt Cattlin mine near Ravensthorpe in the Great Southern into care and maintenance next year.

Arcadium president and chief executive Paul Graves said:

Unfortunately, production at Mt Cattlin beyond the current stage of the open pit cannot be justified in the current price environment for spodumene. We will maintain open and transparent dialogue with all of our stakeholders while supporting our employees and communities in Western Australia during this transition period.

The mine will shut down after the current stage of mining and spodumene processing is complete by next June.

The decision is another blow to WA’s critical minerals sector after over supply of both lithium and nickel has closed several mines in the state.

Gw

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LTR (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.