ELD 0.33% $9.20 elders limited

livestock ban

1. 838 Posts.
    How is it that a government can place a blanket ban on livestock trade into Indonesia.
    This kneejerk reaction is costing farmers, suppliers and companies such as Elders dearly.

I absolutely agree there should be no cruelty to the animals and so the government had/HAS an opportunity to make a difference but not through a blanket ban.

Instead the government should be redirecting more cattle through the abattoirs which meet the standards such as Elders.

This could be a win for Elders as it has invested directly into Indonesia in order to meet the standards. Why do they need to be damaged by the ludicracy of our government.
    Elders has invested in order to protect itself from this sort of problem and in fact to leverage itself in the event of such an issue arrising.

Am I missing something here? Are our politicians unable to see the logic of what I and others are calling for.

Farmers have been hurting for a long time and they cant withstand these
    "left field" blows. What will it cost the government and the remote communities if the farmers go bankrupt.

For goodness sake. Do something smart for a change.

Children can come up with better ideas than the government is at the moment. Be proactive...send a group of trained professionals over with each shipment to oversee the slaughter at the accredited abattoirs. It would be a hell of a lot cheaper than what its costing not to send the cattle.

I don't get riled up often but what is happening here is worse than a dogs breakfast and to think its the Australian government making these mistakes. Makes me feel like we are in the third world country.

Support Elders!

Complain to the government. It was the people who pushed the government into this Ban and it should be those same people pushing the government into redirecting and nurturing the abattoirs which meet the standards weather they are here in Australia or in Indonesia.

Thats the end of my rant.

http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/aaco-elders-count-cost-of-live-export-ban-20110609-1fttr.html

Malcolm Jackman, the chief executive of Elders, yesterday called for the blanket ban to be removed, allowing the urgent resumption of live cattle trade if exporters, such as itself, were able to ensure required animal welfare standards

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/aaco-elders-count-cost-of-live-export-ban-20110609-1fttr.html#ixzz1PQ73d4y1

Mr Jackman said Elders had an "assured, transparent and verifiable" supply chain given it owned and operated its own feedlot and abattoir in Indonesia.

?Elders's Indonesian feedlot and abattoir operations already operate at the level expected by the Australian market having spent 10 years investing in infrastructure and training,? he said.

Elders exported $33 million worth of cattle to Indonesia last year, accounting for about one-third of its live export sales. Elders

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/animals/aaco-elders-count-cost-of-live-export-ban-20110609-1fttr.html#ixzz1PQ6oL0fv

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ELD (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$9.20
Change
0.030(0.33%)
Mkt cap ! $1.453B
Open High Low Value Volume
$9.28 $9.28 $9.03 $3.598M 392.6K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
4 13049 $9.18

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$9.20 1062 2
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
ELD (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.