living off super, page-3

1. 6,204 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 22
    Hi LL
    I retired myself at 55 and am living quite comfortably
    from/off my super for the last 6 years . Now at 61 I can get all my super pension tax free , (thank you Mr Costello )
    Before I retired I went and visited all my retired mates to see how I would cope financially as well as mentally and socially etc...all had different views and outlooks and activities etc , so no real value there .
    The trick is , if you are happy doing what you do with
    minimal fuss then work as per normal , you have peace of mind that if everything turns up pear shaped , you can move on somewhere else or retire , YOU have that peace of mind.
    Before I retired I educated myself attending super forums
    and researching articles as well as super organisations and the ato etc as well as so called financial gurus and accountant etc..
    I had money going each which way and that from my super fund b4 and during retirement to attract tax breaks etc .
    I applaud you having your own SMSF super , you have all the skills to run it and I'd say when you convert it into a pension phase you will have all the skills to administer it to with your usual help.
    My advice , do some research , put more money into your super fund , both taxed and taxed ( deduction claims if you can ) , salary sacrifice etc , keep your money away from financial advisers , whatever you are doing now with your super WORKS and it will work with your allocated pension administration ,ie YOU...
    7 years b4 I retired I re-invented myself about 5 times not only in my financial outlook but my inner personae
    , I then felt good about retiring .
    About six months after I retired I felt something was amiss medically , I had extensive tests for the usual suspects but I came up trumps . Then it dawned on me ,
    it was all those years of stress from all the politics ,
    a few incalcitrant workmates and clients and actual LIFE making decisions leaving my body , I physically felt it.
    To recap , you are doing an excellent job now and you will in the future , your future finances are set up , look after yourself health wise and don't stress out too much , you are in an enviable position whereas you have peace of mind . Don't be scared retirement is easy , you've done well
    cheers Baxter

p.s see if you can get into a seminar with AGEST or Aust super ..or look at their websites for info , not that you have to go with them but they are non profit organisations as such so the advice contains little of the hitches and money grubbing etc , also have a gander at the ato website and a talk with your accountant....

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.