ladyluck,Whether or not you should or could retire, and at the...

1. 5,851 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 711
    ladyluck,

Whether or not you should or could retire, and at the same time, trying to reap the maximum benefits from super really depends on your age.

I gather that you are reasonably young as you said "I am no where near retirement age"
    Your capital within your self managed super fund is locked away. You cannot withdraw money from your SMSF live on as needed awaiting for your retirement.
    You might be extremely well off financially in your SMSF but no matter how much you have in there, you should continue to add to your super until you do retire.

Let's say for example you are 45 years of age, then, in that case you cannot live off your super.
    If you wanted to give up work altogether, you would need to live off other personal assets (not from your super) and anyway, in my opinion you can never have enough invested in super.
    At present the benefits gained by you in your SMSF is that you only pay 15% tax on profits made within the fund and you also can get a concessional rebate for your added contributions.

I hope the above is of some help to you.

Cheers.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.