VMS 6.67% 1.4¢ venture minerals limited

Another article from this morning's Mercury:ENVIRONMENTAL groups...

1. sle
    10,791 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 346
    Another article from this morning's Mercury:

ENVIRONMENTAL groups are outraged that two proposed mine sites in the Tarkine Wilderness will be assessed separately rather than as the same project, prompting calls for a "Franklin Dam-style" battle.

Yesterday federal Environment Minister Tony Burke announced the Venture Minerals' Riley and Livingstone hematite mines in the North-West will be assessed as "single actions" by the Tasmanian Environment Protection Authority.

The Tarkine has a population of Tasmanian devils free of the facial tumour disease that has wiped out 80 per cent of the species, and it is home to Australia's largest tract of temperate rainforest.

The Tarkine National Coalition has condemned Mr Burke's decision, saying he had washed his hands of responsibility.

"We have no faith in the compromised assessment process, and will move to expedite campaigns to prevent construction of the Venture Minerals projects," said campaign co-ordinator Scott Jordan.

Political action group GetUp! also criticised Mr Burke's decision to allow the Tasmanian Government to assess the environmental impact and to allow the impact of each mine to be assessed separately.

"This is shaping up to be another Franklin Dam-style battle," GetUp! environmental campaign director Paul Oosting said.

"The Federal Government should be doing its own environmental assessment and be looking at the overall impact."

Australian Greens leader Senator Christine Milne said the two mines would destroy nearly 200ha of rainforest

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add VMS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
1.4¢
Change
-0.001(6.67%)
Mkt cap ! $37.39M
Open High Low Value Volume
1.5¢ 1.5¢ 1.4¢ $8.968K 605.9K

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
13 2778913 1.4¢

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
1.5¢ 500220 3
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 30/08/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
VMS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.