"so do you expect the next interest rate change to be up or...

1. 4,280 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 109
    "so do you expect the next interest rate change to be up or down? and when do you think this might happen? most here are biased and pushing one way or the other for political reasons. you, from my assessment, are less biased than most, including myself, and so I suspect your opinion may be more accurate."

My views on interest rates revolve totally around inflation, so it will depend totally on what happens on this front. The research I have done shows that inflation is nowhere near under control and if the trends i'm seeing continue, which I believe they will, I think the next inflation print will be a shock. I seriously believe that the cash rate needs to be at about 5.5 % to 6% but the RBA don't have the courage to move it that high. I can't see conditions being right to lower interest anytime soon but that doesn't mean the RBA wont move that way neither.

My view is we could possibly see another two x .25% rates hikes this year and we won't see a reduction in interest rates until at least towards the last quarter of 2025 . That being said, if Labor get re-elected all bets are off and I expect interest rates to go through the roof and we end up in a severe recession.

I will go out on a limb and call an interest rise of .25% in August 2024, followed by another one in October.

Scott as far as me being accurate goes, I am happy to be completely wrong. I do however have a huge financial interest in what happens and I have to position my portfolio accordingly. Long term I believe interest rates are too low and going forward I don't think we should be continually lowering interest rates whenever we have some slackness in the economy.

**Please don't take anything I say as financial advice. **

Capitalism and indeed society can't thrive if social needs are neglected. The big question is what are the needs that need fulfilling and how far should the government go in fulfilling those needs? I am a massive believer in person responsibility and believe that a Government should provide the absolute bare minimum but aim to have an economy that allows anyone that is not impaired or incapacitated, to have an opportunity to better themselves. I honestly believe that Australia provides that opportunity in spades and that anyone who has got determination, half a brain, a good work ethic and has no major unfortunate events in their life , can make something of themselves. I have seen this scenario play out with a few people that I know, people with no education who have done menial work for poor pay but have had what it takes to make a go of life.

I currently think too many people in Australia have had things way too easy and expect the government to solve all their problems, financial and otherwise. I have no problem with people who are genuinely in need getting assistance, but there needs to be a financial limit on that as well.

One of the biggest problems I see is that the solution to every problem is spend ,more money. There is a limit to how much can be spent and so much of it is just wasted and therefore the problems aren't getting solved.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.