SGH 0.00% 54.5¢ slater & gordon limited

Loading up the truck, page-3026

1. 1,775 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 169
    I have participated in ~2 class actions in the US, and at least one in Oz (Henry Walker Eltin). If my memory is correct then, in every case, (1) my participation was entirely passive, the lawyers just said I was in unless I didn't want to be, and (2) there was never going to be any cost to me. I don't think there would ever be a cost for participating in a class action, because that would immediately remove nearly all participants. It is possible that participation in some class actions could be active (ie. you have to actively sign up), and the mooted MB action against SGH looks like it requires people to actively sign up. The possible SGH action against VW is actively soliciting participants, but that is probably necessary because there isn't a public domain file that can be used to determine who has been affected. It's possible that the MB-SGH action is like that, too, because it isn't immediately clear who was affected.

Although it makes sense for SGH longs to join the MB action, I doubt that anyone needs to sign up just yet. It seems likely that the "register" will be kept open until after the date that an actual action is announced, though I would appreciate input on that from someone more knowledgeable of the law and how class actions are conducted.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add SGH (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.