CPL 0.00% 2.2¢ csl finance plc

Just obtained a copy of a letter written by residents of Hinton...

1. 331 Posts.

Just obtained a copy of a letter written by residents of Hinton opposed to Coalspur's plans for Vista. Not being a local, I don't know if the concerns expressed are legitimate but there is clearly some level of opposition.
    Cheers, Apataki

Dear

I?m writing you because I am concerned about the proposed Coal Spur development south of Hinton. My concerns are multi faceted for this development and I?d like to express them to you.

First is the impact to the Athabasca Rainbow. A study accepted by Alberta Selenium Working Group in February 2010 describes the impacts of the selenium on Athabasca Rainbow Trout which is a species at risk. Discharge of selenium is reported to disrupt the life cycle of the Athabasca Rainbow Trout and reduce the populations of this threatened species. The proposed mine will affect the water sheds of Maskuta Creek, Cold Creek, Happy Creek, Hardisty Creek, and Cache Percotte Creek. These watersheds support Athabasca Rainbow as does the Athabasca River into which these watersheds drain. It seems irresponsible to allow a mine to pollute watersheds rendering them unusable to a threatened species.

My second concern is the pollution caused by this mine for the residents of the Town of Hinton and the Yellowhead County. The close proximity of the mine (less than a km from residences) will increase air pollution, noise pollution and create visual pollution. Miners who work at local coal mines must get x-rays of their chest every two years to monitor build up of coal dust in their lungs. What provisions are being made to ensure the residents of Hinton will not be subjected to increased air pollution? None. Noise pollution is also going to be an issue for the town. Creating long drag lines, dynamiting the coal seams, digging up the earth among other things are going to impact the quality of life in the Town. What has been done to study the effects of noise pollution on Hinton? Again nothing. Finally there is the visual pollution. Having a large open pit mine will detract from the natural beauty of the Town of Hinton. Many people in Hinton choose to live here or enjoy living here because of the outdoor activities that are readily at hand. Having a large open pit mine visible from town will change Hinton from being a visually appealing town to an ugly industrial wasteland.

My third concern is the destruction of the historical Big Horn Ridge Trail. It was originally used by North West company in the 1800?s when it was expanding their fur trade. The Big Horn Ridge Trail was then built by the Dominion of Canada Forestry service in the 1900?s for forest rangers to patrol the eastern slopes. The trail today is a popular hiking a horse riding route that is 3km from the town of Hinton. It is unacceptable that a part of our heritage could be destroyed by a coal mine.

My fourth concern is what will be the impacts to wildlife in our area? We are creating another impassable area for wildlife (elk, bear, deer, wolverine etc) to use. We have already fragmented the landscape extensively with current coal mines, the permanent forest road network, forest harvesting and gas installations. What are the effects of the proposed CoalSpur mine on wildlife populations? What are the cumulative effects of this coal mine combined with all of the current activity? Again, I doubt this has been looked at.

My last concern is the reclamation of the mine when it is completed. Is it going to be the same conversion of forested timberland to clover fields that we see on other reclaimed mines? It is unacceptable that a foreign owned company will take the majority of the profits from Alberta?s resource and replace a beautiful, historical forest land with unnatural clover fields.

Please do not allow the Coalspur mine to go ahead in its current proposal. I am not against mines or mining, but the proposed location of this mine is extremely short sighted. The long term effects of this mine will cost more than short term benefits.

Thank you,

Here are responsible ministers with Addresses

Ronald Liepert Energy Minister
    #323 Legislature Building
    10800 - 97 Avenue
    Edmonton, AB
    Canada T5K 2B6
    Phone: (780) 427-3740
    Fax: (780) 422-0195
    [email protected]

Mel Knight Minister of Sustainable Resource Development
    #404 Legislature Building
    10800-97 Avenue
    Edmonton, AB
    Canada T5K 2B6
    Phone: (780) 415-4815
    Fax: (780) 415-4818
    [email protected]

Robin Campbell
    #6, 554 Carmichael Lane
    Hinton, AB
    Canada T7V 1S8
    Phone: (780) 865-9796
    Toll-Free: 1-800-661-6517
    Fax: (780) 865-9760
    [email protected]

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add CPL (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.