Re "If the infections are kept at a suppressed rate and a...

1. 6,702 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 45
    Re "If the infections are kept at a suppressed rate and a vaccine may be available by March, do we accept 10,000 deaths as being acceptable instead of waiting?"

My preference is that we go back to a normal existence, and a good faith effort to empower individuals with knowledge that is out there and let individuals make educated choices as they are expected to do in every other walk of life.

I have no problem with people choosing to wear masks, face shields as they see fit. I think the promotion of hygiene and consideration for others is important. Companies with a liberal policy around their staff working from home should be encouraged.

I think it prudent that every old persons' residence has a huge upgrade in their procedures. I think that has been an issue for many years. Address the weakness, not the people who can help fix the weakness.

I think you're probably right, the warmer climate does assist. I also think the large percentage of covid deaths with other conditions has not been examined enough by governments. Many headlines are being made from the odd younger person that has died, but I think there are almost no cases of younger people dying without an underlying condition. That's not to say I want younger deaths ignored, but I do think an understanding of the risks to young people be understood and each individual then chooses their response.

One thing is for sure, the desolation of being young and healthy but also isolated and suicidal is a very real prospect for a generation of Australians. The seemingly complete disregard for that with this government number crunching, in a country such as Australia that has a tragic history of suicide, borders on government criminality in my opinion.

We are a high achieving society, we have an excellent track record of looking after those close to us. This nanny state mishandling of Victorian lives will probably go unpunished, it shouldn't go unpunished, but it will.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.