Yes, this is correct. MyTax (formerly called e-tax) is...

1. HK1
    590 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 229
    Yes, this is correct. MyTax (formerly called e-tax) is definitely the easiest and the Capital Gains area gives you the options on how you want to enter it. I would expect no change for FY17.

Best to wait a few months to let the ATO get all your information from the banks and institutions. They will auto-fill all of the bank interest, company dividends. Then you can fill out the other areas such as Capital Gains. (Side note... actually, I am not sure how long it takes the ATO to do this - anyone know how long it does take??)

Calculating your capital gain/loss is reasonably straight forward if you know the rules. But there are certain things to be wary about such as how long you held the stock. I like to do mine on an Excel spreadsheet during the year, giving me a running total. Depending on how many trades you have done, trying to do it at the end of the year can be a bit difficult. Remember that you have to get it right, so you need to be diligent and careful.

Not sure how tax-knowledgeable the OP is, so if there is any doubt, see professional advice. But the MyTax is definitely easy to navigate and helpful to those wanting to lodge their tax return themselves.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.