WDS 0.35% $28.94 woodside energy group ltd

This is an investment decision that doesn't keep me awake at...

1. 392 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 601
    This is an investment decision that doesn't keep me awake at night worrying. WPL is a low cost producer, with a strong balance sheet, good assets, strong management, and relatively low debt. It can make a profit with oil at $40 per barrel and I expect will pay 3-4% dividend even if conditions are challenging.

Three to five years...? Demand will be much higher -- the world's economy cannot recover without oil and gas. It's impossible to rely on wind and solar, despite what some in the media may be projecting or wish. I expect a supply problem then as well, because so many projects were cancelled in 2020. It's not possible to press a button and instantly ramp-up production. Everyone is talking about 'will demand increase?' but I expect supply to be as big a factor in three to five years as demand..

So, higher demand and less supply. Throw in an inevitable, but as-yet unknown Middle East conflict or terrorist attack in an oil-producing country, and it's highly likely the newspapers will be full of stories of unhappy motorists paying $1.80 per litre for petrol. However, every time you go to your local petrol station to fill up, you'll be the only person standing in line with a smile on your face -- knowing your WPL shares are now at $35-$40. Worst case scenario, with a subdued recovery, I think it's at $30. Either way, at some point oil will hit $60 within five years and as a high tide raises all ships, each extra dollar per barrel equals pure bottom line profit; WPL gets to $30. I just can't see WPL languishing at $20 per share (or lower) indefinitely. Oil prices rise and so does the share prices of the energy sector. Commentators will be on TV smart-after-the-fact, saying how inevitable it all was back in August 2020 and how 'lucky' investors who bought then had doubled their money.

I bought at $23 (a small parcel) and have averaged-down to $21.50. Each time it drops 5% I buy a few more. The upcoming dividend will be reinvested. Most brokers rate this a 'Buy' or 'Strong Buy'. It's a classic case of buying something out-of-favour and patiently waiting for conditions to turn in your favour -- which they will. It's a matter of 'when' not 'if'.

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add WDS (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$28.94
Change
0.100(0.35%)
Mkt cap ! $54.94B
Open High Low Value Volume
$29.20 $29.26 $28.86 $116.3M 4.011M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 16692 $28.93

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$28.94 2904 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 12/07/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
WDS (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.