ICN 0.00% 0.6¢ icon energy limited

lookin ugly-but maybe icon has a good hairdo?

1. 8,541 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2810
    am not surprised at all with the lousy day on the ASX.

Japan is in no-mans land at the moment - no one knows where this very real tragedy will end - it seems to be going from one hell to the next! I see the people waiting for food and water, and I wish we could just drive over there and hand them some food and water.

WRT the ASX, all the CSG coys seemed to plummet - big drop initially, but then a rebound.

what surprised me, was the strength of Icon?

it only dropped 0.005c - whereas BOW and MPO slit their respective wrists - although each rebounded prior to close.

in spite of the reported potential heightened demand for LNG, all these CSG stocks seem to be pretty volatile in the last few weeks.

i personally think, that this nuclear problem in Japan is going to really cause the world to rethink its commitment to nuclear power.

At the very least - this tragedy in Japan will cause a standstill in the construction of new nuclear facilities. At the very least. Those nuclear facilities which have reached their use-by date, will not be upgraded now - they will be closed down permanently.

that means that countries will need to find alternative supplies of fuel.

LNG is the clear favourite. without a doubt.

I read yesterday that the Fukushima plant (which is where the current problems lie) would need something like 5 - 7 mtpa of LNG to generate the same amount of paower that the nuclear facility did! thats 2 Trains from Gladstone alone!

And japan has 50? nuclear plants?
    Some of those will close down now, simply because they are old.
    Some have possible damage from the earthquake.

every country with nuclear facilities are going to be worried now - earthquakes and tsunamis are natural phenomonems over which we have no control - but nuclear facilities are man made potential disasters over which we do have control - so it seems to me that there will be a worldwide re-think about to happen.

So if the Japanese need to look for alternative fuel, then it will cause a demand surge, and other users (eg Korea, CHina, Taiwan etc) will also scramble to put their foot on LONG-Term supplies.

Its fantastic to hear that Korea, Qatar etc are willing to supply japan with short term supplies of extra LNG shipments, which may get the Japanese some breathing space.

But the problem is long term - Japan is on an earthquake fault line - so they will want to find an alternative to the danger of nuclear facilities real soon.

I know we all send our best wishes to the good people of Japan, and am sure they will come out of this OK. Now I know why we live in the "lucky country".

cheers

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add ICN (ASX) to my watchlist
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.