RIO 2.09% $119.00 rio tinto limited

Looks easy for Albanese

1. 2,055 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 2
    Interesting to see how the rewards for performance are constructed at Rio.  And now we have more exciting news about the Mozambique "investments" [and still waiting for the explanation of the consulting payments for Simandou].   

Who can forget the prominent role played by then Rio Tinto boss, Tom Albanese, in getting rid of Kevin Rudd's mining tax?

"This is my No.1 sovereign risk issue on a global basis," he told reporters in May, 2010. The following year he gambled $4.7 billion on a Mozambique coal mine with the acquisition of Queensland-based Riversdale. It was sold a few years later for $US50 million ($A63.74 million).
    There is the ongoing investigation into an allegedly dodgy $US10.5 million payment relating to Simandou iron ore mine in Guinea, and now the US corporate regulator is alleging that two former Rio executives hid just how quickly its Mozambique gamble had soured.

The two executives charged, Albanese, and his chief financial officer Guy Elliott, left in 2013 after the company nearly wrote off the entire $4.7 billion value of their Mozambique deal just 18 months after the acquisition.
    According to Rio's annual reports, Albanese's remuneration topped £16 million (that's $26.88 million in Australian currency at today's exchange rate) in his last four years at the company.
    He also walked away with vested but unexercised share options worth another £12.3 million when he stepped down "by mutual agreement".
    This is on top of the shares he already owned, which were worth another £8.8 million.
    Despite the fact that his departure from Rio being triggered by $US14 billion worth of writedowns on assets he had acquired as chief executive, Albanese soon walked into a new job at another miner – UK-listed Vendata, backed by Indian billionaire, Anil Agarwal.
    Albanese collected another £4 million worth of remuneration over the last two years before retiring at the end of August this year.
    Nine days later Albanese turned 60 and became eligible for his extraordinarily generous annual pension from Rio, which will see him paid, according to the Rio annual report, £559,000. To save you the maths that's $939,000 a year.

http://www.smh.com.au/business/cbd/...-rio-tinto-lost-billions-20171017-gz2wme.html

...Makes BHP payout for Klopper whoppers look paltry?

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add RIO (ASX) to my watchlist
(20min delay)
Last
$119.00
Change
-2.540(2.09%)
Mkt cap ! $44.17B
Open High Low Value Volume
$120.56 $120.69 $119.00 $216.2M 1.800M

Buyers (Bids)

No. Vol. Price($)
3 130 $118.99

Sellers (Offers)

Price($) Vol. No.
$119.13 1255 1
View Market Depth
Last trade - 16.10pm 28/06/2024 (20 minute delay) ?
RIO (ASX) Chart
arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.