The English language is a living breathing thing. New words are...

1. 718 Posts.
    The English language is a living breathing thing. New words are being added on a daily basis to its vocabulary.

Indeed, the English we speak today is nothing like what may have been described as English in the 16th century.

In regard to spelling, there are of course rules. These rules are in place for a very good reason - so we understand the meaning of what is written.

It is true that we will be able to understand the word "to" as opposed "too" in the context in which the word is used.

Moreover, American spelling is somewhat phonic; i.e.: enter as opposed to entre or theater as opposed to theatre.

The Webster Dictionary is full of it of course.

I have seen some real "bloopers" {another new word} in newspapers over the years. I remember one classic about going to an English town and being able to taste genuine old English fart instead of tart.

Another was in the sport pages which had the word "ruck" replaced with another. I think you get the picture without having to breach the Hot Copper rules on profanity.

In regard to spelling errors, these abound. Some are made because of a "typo" {another new word} others are made because the writer simply does not know the correct spelling.

So the difference between "to" and "too" whilst to some profound is to others of little consequence. In time I believe that such differences will be resolved by the majority of people adopting "to" and we will, in time, see less and less of "too". Thus it will, over time, disappear from the English language altogether.

For those who are somewhat pedantic or "purist" in their use of the English language, they will continue to be correct in the use of the words and the spelling they use. However, again in time, these same people will leave this planet to a new generation who will continue to use the English language and let it evolve as it has for hundreds of years in the past.

No doubt it will continue to evolve into the future.......too.

Bye bye.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.