LPI 0.00% 56.5¢ lithium power international limited

LPI - The Next Lithium Producer in Chile, page-2539

1. 1,374 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 1806
    I can't argue against the missed timelines, or maybe I can give an explanation:

Right now the issue is Codelco's "application" on the entire Maricunga. It's an absurd appeal, because if they were successful it would be clear breach of Aus-Chile Free Trade Agreement (see chapter 10 of the agreement). You could even argue that they have only done it to stall LPI's process, which again would in breach of the FTA. My understanding is that the Ambassador of Australia to Chile is working in the background here.

From a resource fundamental perspective LPI is world class and was it not for this latest stunt by Codelco we would have had FID late last year as per the projected timelines. Chile is a signatory to many international treaties and conventions and if they breach our FTA, they jeopardize other FTA agreements that are linked to Aus-Chile. That I can't see happening, so Codelco's stunt will go up in smoke. The real question is when. Based on the above information I would imagine soon, as political pressure is pilling up.

If we look at AVZ for example, there is zero obligation for Congo to abide by any contractual agreements as they have zero FTA's, this means there are no consequences for Congo's actions. I believe Chile is one of only a few countries in LATAM that has an FTA with Australia.

Ref: Aus-Chile FTA (see Chapter 10): https://www.dfat.gov.au/sites/default/files/Australia-Chile-Free-Trade-Agreement.pdf

watchlist Created with Sketch. Add LPI (ASX) to my watchlist

Currently unlisted public company.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.