Lydia Thorpe makes sexual assault allegations in the Senate, page-345

1. 27,732 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 23

Dutton reveals further allegations against David Van

https://hotcopper.com.au/data/attachments/5354/5354375-7c102095aeab569f2f105d19c369112e.jpg

Opposition Leader Peter Dutton has revealed further allegations have emerged about Liberal Senator David Van, announcing that he will no longer be allowed to sit with the Liberal Party.

It comes after Independent Senator Lidia Thorpe said Senator Van had sexually harassed her before withdrawing those statements in the Senate last night.

“Since the airing of Senator Thorpe's allegation yesterday, further allegations in relation to Senator Van have been brought to my attention overnight and this morning,” he said.

“As such, I met with Senator Van this morning and a short time ago, I advised Senator Van of my decision that he should no longer sit in the Liberal Party party room.

“At the outset, I want to make clear, very clear that I'm not making any judgement on the veracity of the allegations or any individual's guilt or innocence.”

Mr Dutton said he had referred the allegations to the Parliamentary Workplace Support Service.

“My office last night and again today spoke with the PWSS, and they will conduct their considerations of these matters,” he said.

“In relation to the movement of officers, Senator Thorpe made the allegation yesterday in the Senate.

“I wasn't aware of the detail of Senator Van moving office. But I've conducted inquiries in relation to that matter overnight.

“I'm advised that the action at the time that was taken was to the satisfaction of both Senator Thorpe and the Greens Senate leadership team.”

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.