I'd never thought a great deal about windows before my first...

1. 86,109 Posts.
    lightbulb Created with Sketch. 75
    I'd never thought a great deal about windows before my first trip to Europe, aside from knowing that most windows in houses in Oz were a pain, one way or another. Flimsy locks, didn't put up with much wind without bowing, some leaked, I just accepted it as normal.
    My first experience looking at other windows was Finland, and I was stunned at the quality. Beautiful things, wonderful mechanisms and triple glaze - they left anything I'd seen in Oz for dead - but, I thought, well, that's what you need when it gets to minus 20.
    But, France has been a revelation. All over the country where windows are either new or been replaced in very old buildings - the run of the mill, cheap windows are astounding.
    The house I live in has stock standard windows and doors, the house is a bit over 100 years old, the windows are 30 years old.
    They are amazing. As good as the day they came out of the factory. They have multiple locking down the window frame, a silky handle lock mechanism, double glazed, keep out noise and cold and keep it cool in summer - I can't see any reason why they wouldn't go at least another 30 years. They look neat and clean and are zero maintenance. They leave the stuff we used to have in Oz in the dust. I don't know what's available now.
    France pretty much all have shutters as well - ranging from traditional, which are good and useful - to hurricane, which I want if I live on the coast anywhere on the Channel or the Atlantic Coast - they reasonably regularly get winds to about 200 km/hr..
    I see some old houses right on the coast with traditional shutters - I've no idea how they put up with such winds. In Oz - there'd be crap spread all over several suburbs in winds like that.
    I noted your comment on Ozzie houses built of sticks. This came to mind

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...-closer-to-tents-than-insulated-eco-buildings

Australian homes are closer to tents than insulated eco-buildings

We’ve been behind much of the world for far too long.

arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch. arrow-down-2 Created with Sketch.